Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Power Outage and Puppies!!



Well, we survived. We lost power around 10 pm Sunday night and endured a very wild 28 hours. First, let me say, thank goodness for our generator! It allowed us to take showers, make coffee (Woohoo!!), and made life, well, livable. Even though the local schools were closed, our little school was not! We worked until it became too dark to see.
Our dog Mollie provided our Science lesson when she suddenly went into labor yesterday and several hours later we had 9, yes 9 healthy puppies!! Five girls and 4 boys, all named for characters from Star Wars. Sadly, we did have a 10th puppy that was stillborn. That was a really difficult moment. But we are thrilled to have Mollie and her 9 pups in good health and she is quite the Mama looking after her little ones.
Let me also say that power outages do NOT go hand in hand with losing weight! You pretty much eat what you can and without my treadmill there wasn't a way to exercise as I had the children (and puppies) to worry about, not to mention that pesky thing called electricity. Did I mention the large tree laying on 4 wires on the road 2 houses down from us? Our very busy road was closed and we are lucky to have the power back on...our next door neighbor still doesn't. I just continue to pray for those who were in the path of the hurricane. We weren't even in it's direct path...I can't imagine how difficult it must be for those in the south without power and or a generator.
I have been a zombie today. We had school, puppies, and a soccer game. My husband went to work, came home to help the neighbor without power (elderly lady), then went back to work only to have the computer system shut down due to a water main break. The first floor of the building was evacuated. Ok, so exactly when do the locusts show up? Seriously, will Purell cure Pestilence? Because if it does, I am so on it. I'm your go-to gal for all means of plagues, just after I get some sleep! Tomorrow is another day....and I'm off to get some well needed sleep!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I'm glad you all stayed safe! Those puppies are adorable! I would love to come see them when they are old enough for visitors!

Debbi-a1 said...

I'm glad you are okay and that you had a generator! Those puppies are cute! The mama looks like she's protecting them, like my female did. Our second litter was 9, 10 with one still born, too. Make sure you feed her enough to feed those puppies, that was one thing with our female, but I think it was more her. You will love them as they get bigger too.