Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Deciding My Next Project

Today is all about crochet. I am finishing the Upsy Daisy Poncho- it connects with a very easy stitch, but I must have failed the connect the dot portion of Kindergarten because I am having such a tough time getting them joined correctly. I think I am going to join them first with ribbon so that they don't slip out of place.

I am also finishing a double petal shawl, also from Cindy Kamps. She has such wonderful pieces to crochet! My Aunt's church is doing a fundraiser/relay for the American Cancer Society this June in honor of their pastor's wife who died of cancer last year. Their symbol is butterflies, particularly purple ones, so I am making a tan colored shawl and will attach lavender butterflies. I think I'm also going to make a few baby/child sized ponchos for them to sell as well.

I was certain of what project I wanted to make next, and now I can't make up my mind. Too many beautiful patterns out there! I do have a few things lined up to make, but want to do something next that is very simple and quick. I'm open to suggestions! I might do a poll with pictures to see what you think the next project should be. Feel free to send me a link to a pattern in the comments and I'll take a look!

On the weight-loss effort front, I'm still staying on track. Our DVD player in the family room had a visit from our daughter yesterday, and now it won't work! So the treadmill and free weights will have to be my routine until we either retrieve whatever treasure she placed within the DVD player, or we purchase a new one.

My DSIL gave us their DVD player recently and we have it in the new den (read: place where children are not to visit), but we really need the one in the family room because it's a DVD/VCR combo and we still use the VCR part often.

I have to tell you about yesterday. We went to visit Papa and he encouraged our daughter to drink from a straw for the first time! She ended up drinking most of his juice! She then came home and successfully climbed onto a kitchen chair (also a first). I found her going through her 6 yr. brother's homework. She's growing so fast!

There was a sock-hop at the nursing home yesterday (after we left) and Mom said that Papa danced with her twice! Papa and my Grandmother once took dancing lessons and he is quite good. I was so happy to hear that he danced!

One blessing from this time in our family's life is that for the first time in a very long time we are all (well, almost all) united as a family in a common goal- to make the most of this time we have with Papa while he still remembers us and to make him as happy and comfortable as possible. My Mom and Aunt visit daily, as well as my Dad and Uncle, and other family members visit as often as they can. There really will come a time when we look back on these days as golden, and Papa, whether he realizes it or not, has given his family back a precious gift we had lost, namely, each other.

2 comments:

Debbi-a1 said...

Catching up on your blog. You're doing good inspite of all that's going on around you. Loved the last post about singing in church. LOL. I don't sing in church but teach the adults sunday school and mess up all the time. But you're right, it's not for us, it's for God.

Not sure about which project you should start next. Maybe give us some options. Or did you have an idea in mind? How about a cute purse?

Carey said...

Ooh...great idea! I need something that can hang from my shoulder and be very versatile color wise and also large enough to hold my wallet, a book, sunscreen and a diaper! LOL Any ideas.....?